The Historic Anderson County Jail (AKA: Texas Jail House) was built in 1931 at 704 Ave A, Palestine, Texas. It replaced the aging 1800's jail built at this same location. This more "modern" facility was operational until approximately 1988 when the current county jail was constructed less than a mile away on Lacy Street. After needed renovations, the building was used for juvenile detention until closing in 1996. In 1998, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places- building #98000692.
Today, this historic art deco inspired Texas Jail House has been re-opened with a new mission. Become a fun, creative, cool event space that helps preserve and share Palestine's facisnating East Texas history!
Phone Number: 903.373.8158
~ Texas Jail House (AKA: Historic Anderson County Jail; Built: 1931) ~
~ Second Anderson County Jail (Built: 1880) ~